Start a Club
Recognized student clubs enjoy benefits like: use of campus spaces, the freedom to promote their club and events on campus, and the opportunity to apply for ASI funding (subject to availability and eligibility).
To start a club...
Step 1: Check for club availability.
Use the Find a Club search to make sure that no other club exists with a similar purpose.
Step 2: Recruit 8 members and an advisor.
- Find eight currently enrolled Cal Poly students who would like to be a part of the club.
- Find a Cal Poly State University employee who would be willing to serve as the club's advisor.
Tip: Find the contact information for faculty and staff on your Cal Poly Portal, "Home" tab, "Simple Search."
Step 3: Complete and Submit the Petition and Bylaws
- Complete the Petition for University Recognition (PDF).
- Complete the bylaws using the Cal Poly Club Bylaws Template.
- Print and submit both completed documents in person to ASI Club Services in the University Union (building 65, room 203).
Complete the Training
If your Petition for University Recognition and bylaws are in order, you will receive an email notification to have your president, treasurer, and advisor complete the training.
Submit your Charter
Once all required officers/advisors have completed the training, ASI Club Services will be notified and a Club Charter will be emailed to the incoming club president within 5-7 business days with instructions on how to complete the chartering process. Wet signatures (hand-signed, no scans) are required before submitting to ASI Club Services.
For additional step-by-step instructions on what is involved in starting a new Cal Poly club, see the Cal Poly RSO Handbook