Use of Cal Poly Name and Symbol
Request to Use the Cal Poly Name
To use the Cal Poly name, first fill out the form below.
If the request is approved, submit a PRF for your merchandise to ASI Club Services with your email proof of approval. The Club Payment Request Form (PRF) includes an additional question regarding the use of Cal Poly marks. If the purchases being paid/reimbursed for on the Club PRF include the use of any Cal Poly marks, it must be indicated on the Club PRF.
Keep in mind...
Use of the University’s name is a privilege reserved by law to the University and organizations officially recognized and authorized by the University and may not be used to imply, either directly or indirectly, the University’s endorsement, support, favor, association with, or opposition to an organization, product or service without the permission of the University. (See CAP 145.) This includes but is not limited to use of the University name or marks in printed, electronic, or other such media. Unauthorized uses may constitute a violation of state law, trademark and/or copyright infringement.
See the Club Handbook for more information.
Cal Poly Logo Guidelines for Club Use
In addition, take time to view the Trademark Licensing Guidelines.
Cal Poly requires any merchandise or items displaying the marks (i.e., name, symbol, brand, or logo) of the University to be purchased from a licensed vendor. The following includes, but are not limited to, examples of Cal Poly marks that require approval:
- Cal Poly
- California Polytechnic State University
- Cal Poly website (i.e. clubname.calpoly.edu)
- Cal Poly email (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Cal Poly abbreviations (e.g., CP, Poly)
- Musty the Mustang Logo
Note: Failure to use a properly-licensed vendor may lead to suspended privileges and/or not receiving reimbursement for unapproved purchases.
Student Organization Merchandise Approval Process
To read more about the Merchandise Approval Process, see this webpage.
Step 1: Select Vendor
- Determine produced you want to order
- Select a Cal Poly licensed vendor. See the list of licensed vendors (pdf).
- Obtain specs for design
Step 2: Design Artwork
- Follow Cal Poly brand standards
- Design yourself or have vendor/consultant design
Step 3: Obtain Initial Approval
- Complete and submit the online Trademark Licensing Request Form
- When revisions are complete, University Marketing verifies vendor and provides initial approval by sending an email to students and ASI to proceed
Step 4: Order
- Upon email receipt, student notifies the vendor to proceed with the order
- The vendor submits artwork through the licensing system for final University Marketing approval
- University Marketing verifies artwork and the vendor notifies the student when final approval is obtained
Step 5: Reimbursement
- Clubs may submit for reimbursement from ASI for merchandise expenses