Club Liability Insurance Program (CLIP)
If you are having your event on the Cal Poly campus and need additional insurance, Special Event Insurance may be procured through Cal Poly's Office of Risk Management.
The CSU has implemented club insurance for all 23 CSU campuses. Titled the Club Liability Insurance Program (CLIP), it covers General Liability for claims-made both on and off campus. With this coverage, under most circumstances, clubs no longer need to apply for ASI Club Event Insurance Assistance.
Major exclusions include:
- Automobile Liability
- Alcohol furnished at Club Activities/ Events
- Fraternal Organizations (men and women)
- Athletic activities
- Intentional Discrimination
Farmers Market Insurance
CLIP also includes coverage of Farmers Market events. Read more about hosting a table at San Luis Obispo Farmers Market.
Additional Insurance Options
If you are hosting an event that is not covered by CLIP (see major exclusions above), visit the Additional Insurance Options page for information on getting coverage.
Frequently Asked Questions
When do I need Special Event Insurance?
This is determined by the contract and the venue. The venue will determine if special event insurance is required. Venues can either have their own insurance or may require an insurance certificate. National sponsoring organizations can also provide insurance for clubs.
If your event requires special event insurance, please contact a third party issuer.
How much does Special Events Insurance cost?
Special Event Insurance costs vary and are usually just a few hundred dollars. Special Event insurance estimates can be obtained by contacting an insurance agent or researching a quote online.
Is there financial assistance available for the cost of Special Event Insurance?
Yes, ASI Student Government has established funding specifically to assist clubs in the cost of Special Event Insurance. ASI Club Event Insurance Assistance may be applied for up to 6 times per fiscal year (2 times per quarter) at $250 each for a total of $1,500.
Terms of Funding:
- ASI Club Event Insurance Assistance can fund up to 100 percent of the total eligible event insurance not to exceed $250 per event and $1,500 per fiscal year
- Insurance premiums exceeding $250 will be the financial responsibility of the club.
- Clubs are Eligible for ASI Club Event Insurance Assistance for no more than two events in an academic quarter.
- If a club is using ASI Club Event Insurance Assistance funds for more than one events, an application for each event must be completed and submitted to ASI Club Services.
- ASI reserves the right to disqualify any club from applying for ASI Club Event Insurance indefinitely for attempts to defraud or deceive.