Except for international travel and for travel with club sports, club members no longer need to submit travel paperwork for travel inside the U.S.

Travel Restrictions for Clubs

updated August 14, 2023

The California legislature passed Assembly Bill No. 1887 (AB 1887), which prohibits state agencies from requiring, funding, or sponsoring travel to certain states.

To clarify, AB 1887 does not apply to funds that are raised by students. Specifically, monies that are procured by the students through dues, charitable contributions, fundraising, or sales of goods or services are not subject to the limitations of AB 1887. Members of RSOs may use these funds to be reimbursed for expenses incurred traveling to or within states itemized in AB 1887.

However, members of RSOs may not be reimbursed for expenses incurred traveling to or within states itemized in AB 1887 from any State funding sources, including ASI Club Funding and ASI Club Sports Funding. As of the time of this writing, the state of California prohibits state-funded travel to the following states:

  • Alabama
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri (effective August 28, 2023)
  • Montana
  • Nebraska (effective October 1, 2023)
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • West Virginia
  • Wyoming (effective July 14, 2023)

The travel restriction applies to employees, officers, or members of the California State University System, with limited exceptions. CSU Travel Policy 3601.01 has been amended to satisfy the new law and is available for review at


  • California law restricts drivers for non-profits and certain other entities from the use of any vehicle that is built or designed to carry more than 10 passengers unless they have the appropriate Class B license.
  • Drivers of vehicles of that class have a great deal of additional liability for the safe operation and maintenance of the vehicle and safety for all passengers on board as well as several other responsibilities.
  • The use of any vehicle within that particular class of passenger vehicles will not be approved.
  • When clubs travel by chartered air, Air Travel Release forms must be completed.

Incidents during Travel

Should an incident or injury occur during travel, an Incident Report Form must be filled out and submitted to Cal Poly Clubs & Organizations within 48 hours of returning to campus. If a problem develops off-campus, call appropriate law enforcement or medical agencies in the area. If the personal safety of any club member, participant, or spectator is endangered, professional assistance should be requested immediately. All problems must be reported directly and promptly to the Office of the Dean of Students at 805-756-0327.

Travel Outside of the Country

For information on international travel, visit the Cal Poly International Center.

Related Content


Student Juggling

Organization Directory